Founding Member
March 2002
On 06/19/03 15:32, msi-ct said...
Jim,

Thanks for the help.

My cabinet is made of wood.

I saw the Radio Shack 15-2117. So would I have
to install the cammand center inside the cabinet,

Not neccessarily if you used "bugs" for everything IN the cabinet. ie route the bug cables into the cabinet, one for each sensor window needing control. You didn't specify that everything you have that's IR controlled is IN the cabinet. I assume then that other components, perhaps a TV and receiver may be OUTside of the cabinet. I don't know how long of "extension" cables the command center would have adequate power for, but I'm *sure* it is limited (due to line loss in the cable, and I'm sure the "power" is pretty minute to begin with.

with the IR transmitter facing the IR "eye" of
each one of my components?

The command center would have to have a clear line of site shot at each components "eye" or window. I would think that inside the cabinet that would be pretty tough to do considering the command center doesn't have a real wide "spread" of IR. I'd *guess* with three "thin" units totalling maybe 10" of height, you'd need somewhere around 3' of distance from the command center to the front-line of the units. The more the number of units, and the taller the "stack", the further it'd have to be to "reach" all of them.

You can find "bugs" with at least 2 "emitters" on one cable, perhaps more. I *Think* command centers have 2 outlets that you can plug into. 2 "Y"'s,then, would control 4 units. The 2117 also sends IR signals so it should adequatly control the devices that are outside of the cabinet on it's own, with the command center inside the cabinet, obviously the RF feature of being able to operate devices from other rooms would be defeated (for those outside the cabinet). Since all the ueic OFA and RS) remotes use the same command centers, it's possible to pick up a "loose" command center on ebay or otherwise, and you could have one inside, and one outside.

|I notice this equip.
comes with one IR extender cable; it seems to
me I would need 3 or 4 of these to ensure the
equipment is receiving the signal from the command
center. Unless I can manage to mount the command
center facing the eye of each one of my peices
of equipment.

Jim

Hosting Services by ipHouse