Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 49 made on Wednesday June 28, 2000 at 15:46
Teresa Tunnell
Historic Forum Post
Sob, sob, sob! It didn't work. The One For all controls the set top box, but when the Pronto learns the codes, they don't work. I've tried all the Tips and Tricks for learning IR codes, but with no success.

However, I will keep the One For All because at least I can use it for most of the functions that I need for
cable viewing. I can change channels, control the volume and very importantly, due to the widescreen switching problems with the box, I have a macro to set the TV back to 4:3 mode. But for full control of my home cinema, the One For All is no match for the Pronto.

One for All have been very clever to work out these codes. But they are still in beta test and not all functions are available. It seems that whoever set the codes up is not very familiar with the set top box usage as, for example, they have provided the key to bring the favourites up but no OK key to select a channel. There is an OK key but it only works when the menu key is pressed to bring up the EPG. The other problem is that the IR beam is quite narrow and the remote has to be pointed quite accurately at the box. This is not the case for my other devices and
I can bounce the beam off the walls and ceiling. "alfaman" is probably correct about One For All using the wrong wavelength. The original remote is much more powerful.

If One For All can make a relatively cheap remote control an IRDA device, then surely it should be possible for Philips to incorporate this technology in a future version of the Pronto. I still desperately want one fully customisable remote to control all my devices.

Sob, sob!

Teresa

Hosting Services by ipHouse