The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Tuesday November 16, 2004 at 14:37
The Robman
Loyal Member
August 2001
Hey Anthony, as far as using a JP1 remote to work X10 goes, my trusty old 15-1994 remote has buttons labelled for it! :) It's too bad that Radio Shack stopped putting those labels on their remotes.

Pete, the Kameleon (that's how it's spelled) does work with JP1. If you get a store bought Kameleon, you'll also need to get a "pogo pin adapter" because the remote comes with pads rather than the traditional 6-pin connector. I also sell the Kameleon and I have added the 6-pin connector to the ones I sell, so you don't need the pogo pin adapter.

As far as memory is concerned, the Kameleon comes with a built in code for X10 (Home/0167) so that's not as issue. Without JP1, remotes like the Kameleon run into problems when you get a device that they don't support as there's not enough memory to learn all the buttons that you need, but with JP1 there's more than enough upgrade memory for everything you could possibly want the remote to control.

As far as chosing a JP1 cable is concerned, if your PC has an LPT1 printer port available, then get the cheap "Simple" cable. You don't need a serial or USB cable unless your PC doesn't have a parallel port.
Rob.
[Link: hifi-remote.com]

Hosting Services by ipHouse