The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday January 21, 2005 at 20:53
nareau
Lurking Member
January 2005
I recently purchased the aforementioned device from eBay (yeah, yeah, I know). It didn't come with a remote, and I foolishly thought, "That's ok! I'll just use my GE universal remote! It can control *anything*!"

Alas, I was sorely mistaken.

Here's the deal--I can get the universal remote to power the unit on and off. I can make it change channels. But that's it.

So I went out and dropped $10 on a Philips Universal remote. "Surely a PHILIPS remote will work with a PHILIPS DVD/VCR unit!" *sigh*

I'm able to get the unit to power on/off, change chanels, play/pause/etc DVD's, and even control the menu on the DVD by pressing the up/down/left/right buttons. But here's the kicker--I can't make those same direction buttons work on the device's internal menu. I can do everything with this freaking thing, except for navigate those menus.

This is a pretty big deal to me, as it means I can't program the clock, timer, etc. And, of course, the unit has no useful buttons on it.

The only option I've seen is to purchase a replacement remote. But that's $40. I only paid $30 for the stupid thing from eBay, so I really don't want to spend more on a remote. Besides, everywhere I look, people HATE the remote that came with the unit.

So, any IR wizards out there might be able to help me? I've got a laptop, XV-6600, and Treo 600; from what I understand, it's possible to use the IR port on any of these devices to send the right signal to the DVD player. I don't need much--just up/down/left/right/ok. And it really only has to work once, as I only need to program it once (well, until the power goes out...)

Thanks so much for your help. It's sites like this that make me love the Internet. :)

Nareau

EDIT: Oh, and for the record--I've tried every single Philips code that came with both universal remotes. I'm just about frustrated enough to try all 1000 possible codes...

Hosting Services by ipHouse