The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 20 made on Sunday January 21, 2007 at 11:08
Anthony
Ultimate Member
May 2001
I could say the same thing about Blu-Ray, but I won't- Because it is not true. Just as it is not true that HD DVD is pretty much dead.

but it is and just because you don't want to admit it does not change the facts. HD DVD had two chances to win this war and both times it do what was needed. At this point if you like it or not it is just a matter of time.

The big chance was late 2004 early 2005 when they could have listened to the studios and gotten their support instead of BD. But when studios were saying 15GB and 30GB was not enough Toshiba said "what do you know, it is more then enough" when studios were saying AACS is not enough again the response was " what do you know, AACS will never be cracked or circumvented". What were they saying "[we have no idea what BD replication will cost but] BD is and will be so much more expensive to replicate that you won't have a choice to join our side and so shut up and do as we say"
That cost them many studios that went with BD. Before that HD DVD would have had the best chances (i.e. assuming we take it for granted that HD disks survive ) it would have been 70%-30% after that it became 50%-50% and when Sony announced the PS3 it became 70%-30% in BDs favour.

the last chance HD DVD had was that things will go real bad for BD, the PS3 would have issues and HD DVD would do great. None of which happened. There we4re some hics for BD but they were not even speed bumps and HD DVD did do well enough but no where near what they need. They sold 175k players all last year. That is close to 1/2 as well as DVD in 97. Yes for most of the year HD DVD had a slight lead over BD but everyone (with a brain) knew that that lead needed to be extremely BIG if HD DVD were to have a chance. Because even though HD DVD was unobstructed for 3months of the year and then was ahead for 4 months Nov and Dec -with a lead of 8:1-2:1 over that period per month. Once the PS3 came out and even though there was the 200$ add-on BD caught up and surpassed HD DVD for the year. This is in players in titles sold in everything.

to use a hockey analogy yes all hope is not lost (if you are a fanboy of the team) but to make it to the playoffs your team has to win all the next 25 games with many points, that they have to play the toughest teams, while the other teams need to lose every one of the remaining games. And your team has not gotten a point in the last two months, mostly players are sick and they are playing a game losing 4-1 at the beginning of the third period.

I can’t understand why a real AV enthusiast will tell an other that they should spend the money to get HD DVD and being stuck watching SD for most stuff because most studios don’t and won’t support HD DVD. When the guy can buy a BD player and get HD movies from all but one studio.

I can understand recommending both, only way to get everyone. But telling someone that it is better to get 50% on SD for no other reason then trying to prop format that should have never been, I just don’t get it.

I made my choice on the two formats based on a lot of things. None of my reasons were based on who I thought would win the format war.

So, that was your choice not to care about who will win, who will bring you more HD.... does that mean that the rest of us should not point the information out to others who do care about these stuff? From Frank”s original post he is obviously interested in not wasting his money on the wrong format, or else he would not be thinking of an upscaling player, he would have just thrown away his $$$ on an HD DVD player like you did.

Even if HD-DVD dies tomorrow I still have one of the best upconverters made in the Toshiba HD-XA2.

But some people want toi spend money on an HD player to watch HD and not upconverted SD. His solution for upconverted SD is to buy a 230$ upconverted player and not a 800$ upconverting player because he wants to delude himself that he has an HD player

Hosting Services by ipHouse