The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Thursday September 8, 2005 at 18:23
Anthony
Ultimate Member
May 2001
they use different editors (that work somewhat differently) and different file formats.

Your question was with what can I use my CCF. The answer is :all

now what is the difference between classic and NG. Everything. different family of processors and OS. Also the file format is different a PCF can be unzipped into a folder containing bitmaps and an XML file. None of the old Pronto tools work with the NG (like for instance the decompiler) . The whole concept is different there is only one area now (device) instead of three (home, device, macro). there are also features like transparency that did not exist in the old Pronto but do exist now. So now you can actually have a round button.

Philips did three good stuff with the NG

1) they created in the editor an import function that takes a CCF and converts it to a PCF

2) Even though a PCF stores the IR codes differently the editor (PENG and PPENG) converts codes on the fly, so if you look at the code in the editor it looks like the old Pronto HEX

3) even though the remote uses something different and when you up UL/DL it needs to convert, the PCF is a simple XML document at heart and so if you fill like it you can mess around with it at that level.

Now why did Daniel separate the NG from classic (let's face it Philips calls the TS-1000 a Pronto and it also calls the TSU-3000 a Pronto - NG applies to the editor) my guess he thought different file extension, not everything works the same way, renaming of stuff (an alias is now a link, a panel is now a page a frame is now a panel....) and a one way file direction ( you can go CCF-> PCF but not the other way around)...... all of these reasons made it easier to think of them as different and give them separate sections. So that someone with a TS-1000 would not mistakenly try and DL a PCF for example

Hosting Services by ipHouse