Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 18 made on Thursday May 13, 1999 at 16:31
Stephen Tu
Historic Forum Post
I have tried both the SL-9000 and 8080, and strongly prefer the SL-9000. Although you may prefer the look of the 8080, in actual use the SL-9000 works much better. If you need the 8090's multi-room control capability, you can always buy a separate IR -> RF -> IR system.

8080 problems compared to the SL9000:
1. Lack of memory. This is the most frustrating; if it had more memory I would have kept the 8080. You can't quite get all the functions you want on the remote, and can't move all the functions to exactly the key you want them on. If you only have a few components and can live with only basic control, it's fine. (It's # of components, not cost that's the issue -- even cheap receivers and DVD players have tons of buttons you may want to duplicate)
2. No learning. This means you have to send in your remote for upgrade if you get some newer pieces of equipment, or wait for them to respond to an "advanced codes" request, which is tedious. Even then there is no guarantee they'll have the advanced codes you are looking for.
3. Device buttons don't switch. This means to switch from VCR to DVD, you have to hit the audio button, then a number key to switch the receiver, then the DVD. On the SL9000, you just have to double click the DVD button. This is minor if you don't switch between devices much, but is annoying.
4. Only 3 macros, rather than 10.
5. Placement of transport buttons. With the 8080, they are at the bottom, and that makes them difficult to operate one-handed, because all the weight of the remote is trying to pull it out of your hand. I use them a lot to FF through commercials, and appreciate the central placement of these controls on the SL9000.
6.Although the number shaped buttons look cool, they aren't that easy to press, especially the thin "1" key, which I often had to depress multiple times to get it to register.

8080 advantages over SL9000:
1. Clock + timed commands
2. Separate menu + transport controls
3. Sometimes you can find codes for functions that aren't on your original remote.
4. shift key, nearly doubles the available buttons (too bad there's not enough memory to use them)
5. Key mover lets you move command from one button to another without going through a learning process.

Hosting Services by ipHouse