The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Friday January 12, 2007 at 13:19
optides
Lurking Member
January 2007
The Hy-Tek Big Button in the " H " shape has solved my immediate problem -- getting a 90 year old father with severe vision impairments able to run a new 32" LCD and a Motorola high-def cable box. We went through four different remotes during the last week, with limited success -- the buttons too small on an RCA universal, the Toshiba LCD's own nice remote (didn't learn Motorola, though), the Comcast remote for the Motorola (worked everything, but really horrible industrial design, confusing to find any given button), and my Harmony 880 (buttons way, way too small and hard to see).

The Hy-Tek will run the TV and set top box fine, and we are for now avoiding additional complications of a DVD player or VCR. Avoiding them for ever, perhaps. I found the unneeded buttons on the Hy-Tek could be readily covered by squares of Mystic Tape, to reduce the confusion/button search problem.

Some forum questioned if the Hy-Tek is a "novelty" or a real remote. Those with good or correctable vision would, perhaps, so wonder. When dealing with the very old, very vision impaired, it is a "necessity" or a "godsend".

Incidentally, going from a dying Sony 27" tube TV to a bright new LCD 32" was a great success. The picture is far better, and easier for my father to see -- as he says, he now can read the words on the screen, in ads or show titles.

Hosting Services by ipHouse