The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 22 made on Tuesday May 22, 2007 at 17:05
erock1
Long Time Member
August 2005
On May 22, 2007 at 15:56, bookaroni said...
It is my understanding that you need at least HDMI 1.3
to send across an undecoded bitstream for external decoding
for the HD audio formats. I have read this in other forums
as well as Wikpedia. Bu I have been told not to rely on
Wikpedia. So maybe someone else cay confirm or deny my
assumption.

*Edited:
Yes you would need HDMI 1.3 to carry "undecoded" HD (TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc.) audio to an HDMI 1.3 receiver equipped with the proper codecs to decode.

Below are excerpts from "reputable" sources and links to full articles & white papers that will confirm that HDMI 1.1, 1.2 & 1.2a will carry multi-channel audio. This is a proven fact. I suggest that you re-read

1: From HDTV Magazine: "In September 2005, Dolby announced that A/V receivers capable of processing PCM over their HDMI 1.1 inputs should also be able to have sufficient bandwidth to accept the HD video and the PCM multi-channel audio decoded by the Hi-def DVD player."
FULL ART: [Link: hdtvmagazine.com]

2: From the HDMI Org:
Q. Do I need v1.3 HDMI to hear the new Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master HD audio content on HD-DVD or Blu-ray players?

No. The Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD Master Audio can be decoded by the playback device into multi-channel Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) digital audio streams, which is an audio format standard that can be sent over any version of HDMI. In fact, all versions of HDMI can support up to 8 channels of PCM audio at 192kHz, 24 bits per sample.

Full Art: [Link: hdmi.org]

3: From DTS Audio, A consumer White Paper on DTS-HD-Audio:
"DTS-HD Master Audio and High Resolution Audio via HDMI 1.1 or 1.2* Connection using a a high Definition Player with DTS-HD Master Audio Decoder to Current AV Receiver You can enjoy DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio if you have a new Blu-ray Disc or HD DVD player with a DTS-HD Audio decoder built into the player. The audio is decoded inside the player and passed to the receiver in two different ways, a single HDMI cable or multichannel analog connections. The high definition player outputs DTS-HD Master Audio or DTS-HD High Resolution Audio as an uncompressed 6 to 8 channel linear PCM digital audio stream. You need a player with a built-in DTS-HD Master Audio decoder, and both player and AV Receiver must have HDMI version 1.1 or 1.2* outputs/inputs."

Full White paper: [Link: dts.com]

I can go on and on but I think you'll agree that the above 3 are sufficient. Anyone here that has a good knowledge of HDMI and audio will agree.

Last edited by erock1 on May 22, 2007 18:44.

Hosting Services by ipHouse