Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Friday October 23, 1998 at 23:59
Daniel Tonks
Historic Forum Post
Well, as I mentioned, there are currently NO applications for the serial port, and that includes flash upgrading. What I understand, however, is that this is a FUTURE expansion option not expected to be used right away.

My guess on the matter is that such software will be provided to Philips dealers, so that the outfit you purchase it from can "pre-program" your remote for a modest fee. As much is mentioned in the user manual:

"...if a dealer or installer has programmed Pronto for you, it should operate all your components."

Since programming Pronto takes a fair amount of time (for 7 full-featured devices as a new user you'd want to set aside an hour or two, especially if you also plan on custom labeling most buttons) I doubt any dealer or installer is gonna sit down and do it all for you unless it was mostly automated. Hence the serial port and software.

Perhaps Philips will have a promotional deal for retailers (buy 20 and get a free automated-installation package!), but for end users there's nothing planned. Yet.

Hosting Services by ipHouse