Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 22 made on Thursday December 3, 1998 at 14:27
Tim
Historic Forum Post
Sorry guys about the completely Off Topic post but:

Scott:
>Just a comment... Now you're talking about the operating system. When you talk about a Dec Alpha, or a Sparc, you should run the variants of Unix that work best on that platform.

I think you mean "the only variants of unix" in
these two cases.

> What I was talking about is that the applications are easy to port. Not the OS.

I wasnt talking about porting the OS - I was just
stating that they are completely hardware dependent.
As I said before 90% of the time it takes to port an *application* is spent dealing with the differences between different Unix's, and the hardware that they run on. This kind of stuff *is* easier under Win32 - there is only one Win32 and it runs on justabout any x86 based machine.

I'll shut up now! I just don't like people saying that what I struggle to do every day, to earn a living, is "easy".

If Scott wants to argue it further he can take it to email:

timm@sco.com
^^^

A Java version of the software is a nice idea but
unfortunately there is no way Java can do low
level hardware operations by itself.

A quick question to any Pronto owners:
Does the Pronto have a database of preprogrammed IR codes ?
If so how extensive is it - and does it have any codes which were not on the original remotes ?

Another useful feature in the Pronto which may just be possible via a software update:
allow IR commands to be sent at programmed times Very useful for recording things off satellite - no need to remember to set everything to the right channels before you do it.

I hope those Philips developers really are reading all this stuff - we could end up with a serioulsy powerful unit.

Hosting Services by ipHouse