Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Sunday December 13, 1998 at 17:54
Jay
Historic Forum Post
VCR programming and tape navigation functions are a natural for macros, but after reading some of these comments, I can't resist the urge to sing the praises of the Sony Smartfile 20HF.

Sorry to change the topic, but this thing continues to amaze me, and while I know very few people are in the market for a non-SVHS VCR these days, this model is really worth a look. I needed a new VCR, so I got it because I liked the idea of scanning labels across the sensor to make sense of a lot of stuff I time shift.

While that feature is wonderful and performs as advertised, what really makes this thing shine is the dirt simple programming and tape navigation on playback. It's so simple and intuitive that the panel display (especially the counter) is practically unnecessary.

It doesn't matter if you select to record from the program guide, hit instant record, or set the timer conventionally--the show name, date and time will display on the OSD. Just use the joystick to highlight what you want to watch, and you're there. It's even easier than selecting a DVD chapter and makes past indexing features seem archaic.

Again, sorry for the tangent, but for some reason this seems relevant to other pronto owners seeking enhanced, more intuitive ergonomics. And there are still plenty of great macros you could set. How about "What's On" macro that gets you to the program guide and shows you the detailed information of what's on a certain channel for the entire evening? Or how about a "College Hoops Schedule" macro that sorts the upcoming games for the coming week?

Hosting Services by ipHouse