The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 18 made on Thursday February 9, 2023 at 10:02
Fins
Elite Member
June 2007
Weve been using IR repeaters for a few years now on rooms that just get a cable box. The OEM remotes work so much better than expensive RF remotes. A lot of out customers are just doing AppleTVs now. We velcro them to the back of the TV, hand them the ATV remote, and done. Only complaint is when they forget to charge the remote.

We have still been doing RF remotes if there is an AVR or multiple sources, but like you mentioned, those are less and less. Earlier this week I did a fairly nice system with an ARCAM AV10, a Sony 85", some JBL's, a BDP, and ATV. A problem Ive found with ARCAM is finding an IR driver where the volume will ramp. During the initial setup of devices, I played with CEC control, and it worked pretty well, and had some bugs too. But by turning on CEC control and using the TV volume codes on the pro control remote, I got smooth ramping on the Arcam. I think though, if a system is redesigned and use the TV for source switching, and ARC for audio to the AVR, then CEC control would work well. I want to set something up at home and give it a good test.

So in the end, yeah, Im with you about reconsidering IR repeaters as the right solution again. But I do think CEC control works well now and may be a better solution.
Civil War reenactment is LARPing for people with no imagination.

Hosting Services by ipHouse