The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 20 made on Friday April 2, 2021 at 11:22
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On March 26, 2021 at 08:54, IRkiller said...
WWYD?

This reminded me of 'just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should'.

This, in turn, reminded me of the miracle automotive control advance, the push-button transmission. And I googled "push-button transmission." The first response was an array of twelve photos of the push-buttons of different car brands. Above that were links to Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge Dart, Valiant, and DeSoto. Here's one of the images:

These were heralded as quite the improvement over moving any kind of stick to change gears, whether the standard stick shift or the stick that is used in automatic transmissions to shift among the gears P,R,N,2,1, and L.

Just because these could be gears you could put the car into, does not mean it should be done.

The first thing that comes to mind is that if you're driving along and you have to reach forward, putting your hand behind the steering wheel, and then, either by feel or by looking away from the road, shifting to another gear, then you're putting yourself in a dangerous situation.

The second thing that comes to mind is that if you have to actually read any of those buttons, you're in the middle of having an accident!

It CAN be done. The fact that nobody does it any more is quite an argument for NOT doing it!
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse