The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 34 made on Thursday January 28, 2021 at 10:00
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On January 28, 2021 at 03:21, ErikU said...
I'm still confused. Why wouldn't you want to use the same monitors as the mastering engineer? Sure, the room will make a huge difference, but I have spent my career in mastering environments, and the most common monitor is Genelec. These are in rooms designed by acousticians, any they are amazing.

The same applies to other things like, cable, DAC's, displays, etc. If Belden 9451 cable is what the engineer mixed on, why would you want something like monster cable? I think many of the passive speakers and amps used in the consumer market are the equivalent of monster cable.

What's the point, if they're going in a room that's acoustically crap?

We're hedging our bets by choosing equipment that is known to be better than average, or excellent. If it sounds bad, it's going to be due to something that may be out of our control and if we have the knowledge and expertise, we can offer to address these things, for a price. Since we didn't cause the bad sound, it's not for us to do it at no cost. If someone only wants to have bare walls, floors, no window treatments on window curtain walls and only hard furniture with leather covering, the bad sound is on them, not us.

Why would ANYONE want Monster Cable? MC sucks. IMO. However, as long as the cables are neutral to a high degree, they really shouldn't sound very different.

I think the size of some cables is funny. You mentioned 9451 and that whole cable with jacket is smaller diameter than a single conductor (with insulation) in some others that are called 'high-end'.

Using speakers that were designed to be used in rooms that have been designed for specific acoustics should/damn well better sound great, or at least, reveal every detail and there's a difference, as you know- this is especially true in the rooms used for the basic tracks but the mastering room can be very different and it's there, that the audio 'sweetening' happens.

I can't begin to estimate the number of times I was told that someone "wants to hear it the same as they did in the studio". Can't happen- too many other variables.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse