The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 17 made on Wednesday January 20, 2021 at 21:08
davet2020
February 2005
Hi guys,

Used to be here all the time years ago and good to see most of you guys are still here sharing and helping. Had some cardiac problems a few years ago so I stepped away and let my son take over the business. But my company has been in business for over 40 years in the Washington DC area. We started installing TV antennas in 1978 and we have installed over 50,000 antennas.

So, if you want my two cents of advice about installing antennas.

First, you need a digital RF signal meter. Sadelco was the best but they went out of business years ago. You can still get them serviced and new batteries from a former tech. Look on Ebay for them. With a Display Max you can read digital signal levels for every OTA channel.

Second, once you get your meter you will be able to find the best spot for the antenna and direction to point it in. The location is critical because you dont want to put the antenna in a dead spot for one of your channels. I have seen countless times that moving an antenna 6' on the roof can sometimes double the signal strength for a particular channel. Don't believe me? What do you do when your phone doesn't work. You walk around looking at the display until you see your signal go up. Once you find the best spot mount it right there with a DS-3000 J pipe mount.

Third, we use Winegard antennas. 95% of our jobs we use the HD-7694. It is a VHF/UHF antenna and it is not very big but it really gets the job done. If you need more signal then put a preamp below the antenna and if that doesn't work then raise the antenna with a 10' mast and a tripod at the peak of the roof.

Fourth, if you are going to buy an RF meter and go to someones house with a ladder make sure you charge enough money. We charge $549 for the antenna to one hookup. Add a preamp and it goes up 122.00. Even with those prices people are happy because that antenna will be up there for over 25 years and save at least a thousand dollars a year to the customer.

Also, because we installed the antenna we have people who call us to install TVs,
AV systems, connect networks. So this is a way to expand your customer base.

The big question is whether you are comfortable going up on roofs but if you are doing TV antenna work can be a quick way to make money, get new customers and expand your business.

Ernie, is an old antenna guy like me so maybe he can add to some of the things that I said.

Dave T.
If you are going to do the job...why not do it the right way?
www.fairfaxavi.com

Hosting Services by ipHouse