Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Monday January 18, 2021 at 08:35
iimig
April 2011
My professional opinion is that this type of matchup would work, and meet most people’s expectations. However SPL is going to be limited. The efficiency of these speakers is really low at 84db 1w/1m. This is about as inefficient as a speaker comes.

The number one concern with a system like this would be preventing the user from operating the system near maximum levels. Anytime I see a speaker with more power handling than the amps, I get concerned because the opportunity for distortion exists. When the amplifier is outputting maximum current (which may not be enough to satisfy the user based on the low efficiency of the speaker) the wave form can start to distort and go square. When this happens, it damages the voice coil of the speaker. It’s actually safer to have more power at the amp than less. In fact Harman group put out a white paper a while ago that recommended 2x the power handling for most applications and 4x the speaker power handling for amplifier power in a high performance application. Residential systems rarely meet this recommendation but it’s a good design consideration.

Would I do what you are proposing? Yes if the client is looking for a background music quality system. But if it is to be high performance I would be re-thinking it.
The less I say, the smarter I will appear

Hosting Services by ipHouse