The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 38 made on Saturday January 16, 2021 at 10:04
gpaul_snapav
Snap AV
March 2011
Hi cgav, looks like Nima was able to help you out. I wanted to share my experience and recommend a tool for your tool belt:

I have been fighting Sepctrum connectivity issues in my home since the start of COVID. I have all Araknis gear with 310 router, 310 switches and 810 APs. I first noticed mobile devices showing connectivity but returning spinning wheels. Once I ruled out wifi I started to look at the router and using Fast.com speed tests from a hardwired mac and PC. It wasn’t until I downloaded pingplotter and monitored pings and trace routes to Google and Cloudfare DNS servers over time to find the real issues - higher jitter and latency and round trip times averaging in the 130ms range. One-off speed tests to varying servers will not deliver this insight.

Spectrum is the bane of my existence offering my area max 200mb service. The only alternative is DSL with less than 30mb service at its best. If you read the fine print, Spectrum’s service level threshold is around 30-38ms if I recall correctly.

Spectrum 1st level techs have been out to my home no leas than half a dozen times over the last year to address this. I had my own “spectrum approved” Netgear modem – no surprise Spectrum blamed that. So I bought a newer version of the modem (also approved by Spectrum) and still had latency issues and WAN dropouts. Spectrum then came out and replaced all of the RG ends from the box to the side of my home but of course that did nothing. I finally got a support agent on the phone who admitted seeing 20% packet loss and up to 640ms latency. He confirmed is was NOT my home and put a “watch” on my line promising a “3rd” level tech would address it. Issues continued and I threw in the towel and converted over to a Spectrum supplied Arris modem/router (bridge mode, wifi off) so they couldn’t blame me, but to no surprise that didn’t solve the issues.

Using pingplotter I can see the issue is road runner hardware two hops from my home explaining why my neighbors and I have issues at the same time. Being on a shared service it is interesting to see the impacts of learn from home, work from home and entertain at home on the service level to my home. No surprise you can see service degrade in the morning, restore somewhat midafternoon and degrade again in the evening with high latency and many times short, complete dropouts. I have tried to explain this to my neighbors having the same issues on other hardware but even my technical neighbors continue to use a single speed test result to misinform their perspective.

To work from home I was forced to add DSL as a second WAN to my Araknis 310 which has helped as a backup but Murphy’s law prevails and I have had at times BOTH services down! Knock on wood, the last few months have improved as some kids and folks return to school and work, and hopefully Spectrum works to upgrade their system.
G. Paul Hess
SnapAV Chief Product Officer
gpaul.hess@snapav.com

Hosting Services by ipHouse