The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Friday January 8, 2021 at 11:47
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On January 8, 2021 at 10:40, andrewinboulder said...
I've never actually tried to use a studio monitor speaker for a home theater. I guess they can maybe sound a bit harsh, since the sound isn't colored like a lot of passive speakers from what I've been reading.

In theory you would think they would be good for home theater since that is apparently what they use for editing the original soundtrack.

Why would anyone want a harsh-sounding speaker in a recording studio? They want speakers that reveal problems in the recorded/soon to be recorded sound. The Yamaha NS-10 is almost ubiquitous in studios, but nobody actually likes the sound. The reason they're used- if it sounds good through those, it will sound good through just about anything and since they're everywhere, nobody needs to carry their own monitors from studio to studio when they're hired to mix/master. One major difference between studios and the real world- the control or mastering room is likely to have been acoustically designed or treated by someone who knows what they're doing. Lots of people use Dynaudio speakers in studios, too- from experience, they're easy to listen to and I have described them as "easy to listen to without thinking about what I'm listening through".
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse