The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 19 made on Thursday July 30, 2020 at 11:55
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On July 30, 2020 at 09:16, highfigh said...
The only reason a ruler or scale has numbers is due to the fact that more people can read.

But I have proof that being able to read doesn't mean people are sensible. I had a tech...

So there's this piece of 2x4 about 18" or maybe 20" long. Exact length was not crucial. I need another one for whatever I was doing. I hand my tech the one piece and tell him I need another one the same size.

He gets out a tape measure, carefully measures the length of the one I give him, and writes down the measurement. The dimension included sixteenths.

He then uses the tape measure to make a mark on another piece of 2x4, then puts a square over the mark and draws a line. Lastly he clamps the wood and cuts it along the line.

He hands me the two pieces. I ask him why he didn't just put the right-sized one on the other one and draw a line from that.

It didn't occur to him.

I have to confess I've done things like that.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse