The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 92 made on Sunday September 29, 2019 at 16:12
Anthony
Ultimate Member
May 2001
On September 26, 2019 at 15:41, djy said...
Part Two

Although one lives in Canada, I'm not sure one fully appreciates the extremity of a glacial.

I did not say that, you said the UK can have 40 degrees difference over the year. Let me put it this way, I have a friend and co worker that several years ago accepted a new position in Singapore when he first moved there he found it freakishly odd that no one discussed the weather since here it tends to be the go to small talk , first thing after a hi, but after living there for a few months and then a whole year he realized why they don’t talk weather there, there is nothing to say when it is the exact same thing day in day out. It was meant as an acknowledgement that for some people seasons can be a foreign concept, but where I live and southern Alberta was snowed in [Link: calgary.ctvnews.ca] this weekejnd while I was swimming outddoors I don`t need someone to explain y to me that
and this are more or less the same place just a few months apart and there is nothing wrong

On the other hand, your claim of the 'next ultra-warm period' has no precedence

not sure what point you are making. I thought we both agreed that there where times in the past when the world was warmer. I am just not in a rush to get back there because it was not necessarily good for humans.

and the climate's previous variability, as illustrated, makes something of a nonsense of your belief in our having to try and maintain stability.

Why not?

And if it's possible for a minor atmospheric trace gas to have such a profound effect

absolutely take Venus for example, it is a lot further from the sun then Mercury and so should be much colder but it is much hotter because it has a thick coat of greenhouse gazes

is it then not also possible that attempts to 'control' it may interact with other more powerful natural factors and cause a counter climate crisis?

depends, if we are talking some nut ball that wants to build a giant brick wall between the earth and the sun, then yes. But you can’t argue that trying to control unnatural CO2 can’t have any effect because it is not enough to affect climate but at the same token that it might be so much that it has a counter effect. Plus if that was the case wouldn’t the solution be simple, add a few matches to some giant forest?

When it comes to climate change though, your thoughts that those of us cautioning against knee-jerk actions/reactions are losers and that we should just give it go regardless is both insulting and extremely naive for it shows little, if any, understanding of the real cost and extremity of what you're proposing.

Can you show me where I advocated knee-jerk actions/reactions? I just think we need to acknowledge the reality and work for an end goal. For example I think there is no need for ultra polluting coal power plants built using 100 year old technology, when we can build (if needed) much cleaner coal plants (or even a zero emission coal plant). Let me put it this way around 20 years ago I needed a new car, I looked at the ZENN, there was a lot to love, it runs on cheap or free green electricity produced locally and regular maintenance would be much cheaper and less often. But even though it made sense for the 5 km to the bus terminal and back every work day, if I wanted it to go to my friends cottages (1.5h-2.25h away), my sisters home (2.5h away) her cottage (4h away) or my cousins home (8h away) it quickly became impractical. So all the benefits became moot and decided just to replace my car with an other conventional car. And ever since then when I needed a new car (and even when I did not) I looked at electrical cars but bought conventional ones because they just don’t make sense IMHO and context. I Am not looking for a car that is only practical for short distances, I want one that also works on the longue ones and I don’t need two cars.

As for the loser comment I am sorry you took it so personally, it was definitely not meant as a personal diss. I just think in life, in any circumstances, a person can either be defeatist and then they guarantee they will lose or they can try their bests and even if they lose at least they tried their best.

I believe that the IPCC and those with vested interests in maintaining alarm (whether political, financial or both) are over-accentuating the effect of CO2 to support the primary goal of political change. I further contend they are happy to use all means available including, questionable science, activist propaganda, the denigration of the reputable scientists who do not support 'the cause', threats to the livelihoods of those who otherwise would, and the stifling of debate, to support this goal.

Maybe that is true, but let’s forget 50 or 100 or 1000 years from now look at “today” [Link: montrealgazette.com]
[Link: bbc.com]

desperately trying to promulgate fear of hotter/drier British summers

don’t know about the UK and maybe it is not BS for you (or your country). But here (southern Quebec) I don’t think there is any doubt. The winters have become colder and snowier (why flooding has become such an issue) and the summers have become hotter and drier. I have a friend I grew up with he is a farmer farming the same land his dad did , planting the same crops his before I as born his dad dug an artificial pond that works as a water reservoir for watering crops, 4 years ago my friend had to make it larger for the first time since his dad dug the hole, this summer he told me he will need to increase it again later this fall.

Here in the UK the plans are brimful of wishful thinking, make huge assumptions (particularly in the realm of public acceptance) and do not reflect the reality

Honestly IMHO political future projections are always a joke and a way to pretend a problem is fixed. The deficit now is XXX but we have a plan for 0 deficit when someone else will be in power”...

so you can be right and it is a pipe dream. But who knows, Coal does not need to be as bad as it is, [Link: saskpower.com] and here in Quebec at the end the 60’s there were two nuclear power plants (with a third one planned) and many thermal plants. In the 70’s Quebec decided to steer towards Hydro as the main source (not because it was green but because when you factor in consumables it was cheaper I the long run) most of the electricity is Hydro, one (if needed) gas plant and it “buys” electricity from 6 hydro producers, 39 wind farms , 7 biomass and 3 biogas plants, we are also net exporters. If there is a will going green is always a possibility you just need to look at what natural resources are available in your location, look at iceleand

[Link: en.wikipedia.org]

YearTotalHydroGeothermalFuel-Oil

I believe I've previously mentioned the fact I don't drive...

I agree with you the electric car (or anything except for gas guzzlers) are impractical. There is a trhead on the subject in the CI lounge a long time ago and you can read a bit more of my opinion there but to keep it simple and shorty

for me for the current model I think it needs

fill up (20%-80%) “on the road” (at home L2 is good enough) : under 15 minutes – 20-80 is the normal range given because under 20 or over 80 each % tends to be longer
range : 2,000 K (might seam like a lot but charge time does not factor in weather,accessories or aging battery)
1/2 life of battery: 20 years
price of the battery: under 5k

none of those numbers are anywhere near what they need to be and if I am honest I don’t think we will get there soon plus each number negatively affects every other one, (if the battery is bigger it will need longer to charge, its 1/2 life is shorter and the price goes up.....

that is why I think the model is broken.

If you want one of my “crazy” ideas, I look at Toronto’s Tramway that has been around for over 100 years or Montreal's Metro that has been around since the early 60’s and I Think the model should not be based on the car but a hybrid between cars and what I just mentioned. Batteries are good for short distances in the city but when you go longer distances they suck, now if we electrify high ways (as they are called here) like a tram or a metro or a light rail train and the car siphons electricity as it goes now you can build an electric car with, let’s say a 100km or 200km battery and it will be practical with micro transactions for the electricity used while on the electrified roads.

What is clear though is my claim of there being no set plan of how these changes are to be paid for, implemented, undertaken and, above all, their ramifications.

agree, that is why they are future plans, that will be the next guys problem ;)

Now enters the final piece of the jigsaw puzzle: smart meters

Many years ago a person would go home to home take down the numbers (on the meter outside your home)every month. next came assumed average where the person would just go once a year to read the meter and you could get a credit or pay extra depending on if you paid the right amount for the year. I have always seen it as just an other cost cutting measure. You said you take down your own numbers, but sooner or later someone would need to verify those numbers for the companyotr else an unscrupulus person could just say they use very little electricity.

Hosting Services by ipHouse