The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Tuesday August 27, 2019 at 09:28
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On August 26, 2019 at 09:41, Mission Systems said...
In the past I have used some DIN rail connectors for this exact application. I will take the speaker cabling in the house and land them on a DIN rail near the racking and then finish it off with patch cords between the equipment and the DIN rail connector. This allows me to replace the shorter cords if equipment location changes and the connection is rock solid.

I've used very few DIN rail things, so...
When you "land" the speaker cabling, do bare wires go into a binding post? Tinned multi-strand wire go into a spring-type clamp? Or?

The fact of it being DIN or not doesn't matter as much as the metal to metal contact and how good it is.

What do you mean by "patch cords" with, I take it, speaker wire? I once built a demo system that used dual 1/4" phone plugs. These never sounded bad, probably because, as buzz pointed out, they got wiped regularly by plugging and unplugging.

And what is it about the patch cord connection that is rock solid? I'd say "rock solid" for spade lugs under terminal strip screws, for instance.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse