Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Monday August 26, 2019 at 18:56
buzz
May 2003
I'm not a fan of banana's for stationary connections. By "stationary" I mean connections that will not be regularly broken down. Banana's are not "gas tight" and there will eventually be some corrosion. Yes, you could use gold plugs and jacks, but the gold wipes off easily. If the rig will move at least a few times a year and the banana connections will be broken down with the moves, bananas will work OK and allow quick and easy movement of the rig.

In our retail store I had a banana based speaker demo patch panel. I used gold plated plugs, but this was all for show because the jacks were not plated and the gold wore off the plugs after the first few days. This was not a major issue because the plugs and jacks were naturally cleaned multiple times a day during routine use.

And, I won't argue with anyone who points out that any connection will degrade the signal. With the banana's on the job you'll have speaker wire to jack, banana to banana, wire to banana plug, and wire to equipment. That's a lot of connections compared to speaker wire direct to equipment.

Hosting Services by ipHouse