The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday August 22, 2019 at 18:19
SWFLMike
Long Time Member
January 2007
I think I have a situation where the wire that's in place has been compromised, but wanted some input on this in case anyone else has had a similar experience.

Everything is in conduit (which is wet now), but they didn't use direct burial wire - it's just plain ol' cat6. This is for gate control, and the cat6 has been turned into a 2-conductor by twisting solids together and stripes together, per manufacturer recommendations.

What we're working with is Mobotix MX2Wire transmitter/receiver sets with T25 camera/keypads at far end. There are 2 identical setups on the run, the first being about 350' from the house, and the other being about 350' further along. The junction box at the side of the house is about 200' from the equipment room, so we're looking at runs that are a total of about 550' and 900'. These have been working well for the last 3 years, and this year they both died at about the same time. I replaced one transmitter set and got the closer station back up and running, but the farther station isn't coming around - and I've tried everything at this point.

I brought the parts that seemed to be dead back to the shop and was going to try to get RMAs for them, but decided to test them there, and they worked. I used a different PoE injector for this, since the ones on site are installed in a rack, and I thought I found the problem. So I figured I'd try to replicate their real world environment by wiring in a spool of wire and they worked right away. I ran these things over 1000' of 22-2 and they're solid.

So it LOOKED like it was a power issue. So I brought out the PoE injectors I used at the shop and...nada. The only thing left is the wire thats in the ground, soaked. We're in our rainy season now, and it rains like crazy every day, so that does seem to make sense. I tested the wire for shorts and continuity and it seems OK, but once you put power on it, nothing gets through.

Sorry that's a long one, but I *think* I can declare this wire NFG. Any input is appreciated! Thanks

Hosting Services by ipHouse