The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Saturday February 16, 2019 at 10:15
cshepard
Advanced Member
June 2008
On February 15, 2019 at 23:31, SB Smarthomes said...
The piano apparently has an app that allows you to purchase and download songs.  I have another client that purchased one about a year ago and needed help connecting to a hidden SSID for the wifi, but they didn't have any interest in connecting to the distributed audio so I never really paid much attention to it.

From what I remember, it's an actual grand piano that can be played normally, or it can play songs by itself and you can even play a duet along with the piano.  Some of the downloaded songs also had instrumental accompaniment and vocals that the piano played along with.

Home is about 12k sq ft along with extensive outdoor areas and I have speakers everywhere.  I didn't learn about the piano until after it was delivered so didn't have any way to plan for it during construction.

Homeowners had their first event at the house a few weeks ago and the piano was a big hit, but once you were away from the Living Room you couldn't hear it and they had different music playing in the other zones.

Would be great to add it to the DA system, but I think the challenges are:

1. Find how to get an analog audio output from the piano for the accompaniment/vocal tracks
2. Find a way to mic the piano.  I've done this before using a special piano mic that attaches directly to the sound board so it doesn't pick up much ambient sound
3. Find a way to mix these signals together
4. Find a way to transmit the piano audio to the rack mounted DA gear that's located in a mechanical room on another floor at the other end of the house (about 130ft away)
5. Make it easy to use and reliable.

Some initial thoughts:
1. If the piano has an audio output that I can use I can feed this along with the output from a piano mic into a small compact mixer mounted under the piano along with the rest of the electronics
2. Distributed audio is Sonos, so I could also place a Sonos Connect under the piano and run the output of the mixer into the line in on the Connect.  The Sonos Connect might be the easiest way to get the piano audio "wirelessly" into the audio system.
3. Set the Sonos Connect to "Autoplay" the line in source when it senses audio from the piano

The "Transparent" part of the piano description means that it's made out of clear acrylic so I'm not sure how much area I'll have to hide the equipment underneath.

Below is a link to what they have.  It was custom built in the UK to the designers spec (I think it's a special color under the acrylic to match the furnishings in the room) and then delivered to CA and a guy flew out to unpack and set it up:

[Link: edelweisspianos.com]

I’ve integrated one player piano, but the mic, audio out, & mixer were provided by the piano store. All we had to do was connect the output of the mixer to our 27 zones of C4 distributed audio.
Chris

Hosting Services by ipHouse