The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 32 made on Friday January 11, 2019 at 14:32
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On January 10, 2019 at 06:53, thecapnredfish said...
CCS is just fine for cable service

Copper-Clad Steel is just fine O N L Y for cable service. Solid copper is good for all uses except long aerial drops with a shallow catenary. Since solid copper is good for all uses that we have, that's what we should always be installing.

On January 10, 2019 at 11:30, oprahthehutt. said...
Doesnt google have a mesh networking solution? If your not going to retro, stick with what they have and like.

Isn't google stuff free? And when they make changes... then you get your money's worth! No prior notice, no choices, perhaps they'll even stop offering it.
I would also give them an outrageous quote to retro wire in and let them decline. Then when they get sick and tired of the google mesh and bitch at you for it, respond with your original quote and the builders name and phone #.

"Outrageous" should mean accurate and with no holding back for contingencies. The price will be outrageous when it's an accurate price!

On January 11, 2019 at 10:08, Brad Humphrey said...
they are a bunch of f^n idiots!

This would be read "f to the nth power idiots!" I love that!

On January 11, 2019 at 10:22, highfigh said...
I also explain that the WiFi speed from an ISP isn't guaranteed,

Well, good. How is it even possible for the ISP to be responsible for the speed of wifi in the home? Sure, the ISP supplies a router with wifi, but it's up to the client to accept that or to get a better one. You might mention that ISPs also only can guarantee a MINIMUM speed of even wired internet! (And because the marketing dudes always want to cite the biggest number they can cite, it's like pulling teeth to get the ISP to name the fastest guaranteed speed. They'll usually stick HARD with "speed up to _______, which is meaningless.)

I installed another in a large two story condo and the first speed test with my iPhone 6 showed 350 Mbps, with WiFi. Wired, it shows 480Mbps, even though they're paying for 400 Mbps.

Here's where the ISP's dastardly approach makes it hard to pin things down. Are they paying for "up to 400 Mbps," or "at least 400 Mbps"?

I'm done arguing with people about whether WiFi can handle everything- it can't, unless some really expensive equipment is used.

You're not willing to say it can handle everything at slower speeds? It does make sense to say that handling something at slower speeds is not handling things!

On January 11, 2019 at 10:49, Knowinnothin said...
Mesh networking with dedicated backhaul radio can work, the key is to make sure the backhaul capacity is as good as the demand on the “ap”. Choosing a mesh kit without dedicated backhaul is pointless given the demand that the homeowner is going to put on the system.

I've just looked up "backhaul" because I've never heard the term, and I've seen one explanation. Could you give us a short explanation of it? My probably erroneous understanding at this point is that to get the fastest wifi system, you need a wired connection back to the router from each access point. This, even on a mesh network, where not requiring ethernet is one of the advantages of it.

...keep your wireless backhaul hops to one.

Please explain?

Thank you.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse