Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday December 11, 2015 at 11:09
bs70053
Lurking Member
December 2015
Wow!!!!

The landscape has really changed. They are really pushing everyone to just use a tablet or Smart Phone. Unfortunately, that doesn't work for my 4 year old and 10 year old and it seems like such a pain to have to pick up a smart phone, slide to unlock, load the app and then.... whatever else happens. It is so much simpler to just pick up a remote and hit buttons. I can't believe there is so little call for a normal remote control.

Anyway, my Harmony 700 is on its very last legs and I don't know what to replace it with. I have never really liked the way the buttons felt on it but the simplicity of use has kept it as the main remote for the last 4 years. I have thought about just getting a 650 but, like I said, I just don't like the feel or the build.

Me requirements are:
1 - Activity Based - My family can hit the Watch TV button and everything pops on, same for a Movie. I need a simple one-step button push to move between activities.

2 - Backlit

3 - Real buttons for the numbers and DVR controls. I don't want to have to look at some LCD to find the right button to push. I don't mind having the screen but the one on the 650 has been largely ignored its entire life.

The R50 looks good but everything says it is Device Based. I understand Macros but I don't know how well they are integrated into the remote. The photos on Amazon make it appear that the keys next to the screen can be programmed with multiple activities and as long as they can be put into always on mode it should work.

The NevoC2 looks a little more sleek but I don't see any activity buttons and it looks like the support may not be there.

Logitech Harmony Smart Remote Control undoubtedly has the features I want and lacks the screen (that's a bonus). I also like the 'DVR' button. It appears to have 3 activity buttons on the top which is exactly how many I need but I am not crazy about the double press for skip/seek/ffw/rew, the price, general Logitech build quality and I can't seem to find anything, anywhere that says whether or not the remote is backlit.

One thing I really can't find is the additional Up/Down button that is right in the middle, below the screen on the Harmony 700. Guess I'll have to learn to live wihtout it.

Hosting Services by ipHouse