The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday October 9, 2015 at 20:47
oxguy3
Lurking Member
September 2015
I have an aeros MX-850 that was originally programmed by a dealer, but I recently got a copy of the MX-850 Editor software from a dealer (I do not, however, have a backup of my current configuration). I got a serial DB9 to 3.5mm cable, and my computer happens to have an RS232 port.

However, I can't get MX-850 Editor to connect with the remote. When I plug in the cable, the remote runs through its normal startup tests (i.e. LCD/RAM/IROUT/etc), and when I unplug the cable, it shows "FAIL! 1" on the screen. But when I try to upload or check firmware version in the MX-850 Editor software, I get error code 102-17UU-0000: "Either the com port setting is incorrect (Communications Menu) or the cable is defective."

I've tried just about everything to fix this...
  • I checked the COM port is correct (it's COM1 in both MX-850 Editor's settings and in Windows Device Manager) and have tried fiddling with the numbers repeatedly.
  • I have tried both my computer's built-in serial port and a USB-to-serial adapter.
  • I have tried both MX-850 Editor, and NX-RM820 Editor (downloaded from this website).
  • I have run Live Update.
  • I've restarted the software, my computer, the remote, etc etc etc.
  • I've checked that the pins should be correct for my cable (according to the store page, it's Pin 2=Tip, Pin 3=Ring, Pin 5=Shield).
  • I've checked the port settings in Windows Device Manager (bits per second: 9600, data bits: 8, parity: none, stop bits: 1, flow control: none, 'use FIFO buffers' is checked)
  • In the "advanced" section of the port settings in Windows Device Manager, I've tried setting the receive and transmit buffers to both the highest (14 and 16 respectively) and lowest (1 and 1) values.
The only things I haven't tried is using a different cable (I only have the one, and given that the remote reacts when I connect the cable, I'm tempted to think the cable is okay) and resetting the remote with MAIN+STOP (I don't have a backup of the current settings so I'd rather not).

Does anyone have any clue what I should try to get this working? Many thanks for reading this super long post.

Hosting Services by ipHouse