The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday July 23, 2015 at 18:36
Gracepreacher
Lurking Member
July 2015
First time poster here. I've always gotten by on basic universal remotes to control my 4-5 devices. I had heard that Harmony remotes are very easy to set up, so I vowed to give them a hard look the next time I was in the market. I ordered a Harmony 650 and it is on its way, but have since read so many comments on lack of longevity, that it has me rethinking the purchase already. I also envisioned maybe adding a Next Gen RF Extender to the mix once the dust settled on the new remote, and lo and behold, Next Gen's site says that it does not work with the 650! (though I have also read several testimonies of people who have had success) I would love to eventually have RF, as my equipment is behind a cabinet, and I've had my share of repeater woes at times over the years. From what I understand, having macros programmed becomes "easier" with RF because the person doesn't have to keep the remote aimed in a certain direction. I'm on a pretty tight budget for this item, as I can't justify spending too much on a remote with a 4 yr old and 6 yr in the house. :)

Here are my needs:

1) Ease of use and programming
2) Reliable (works every time and for a long time)
3) Control Panasonic plasma, Denon X1000, Roku 3 (I have an IR Roku remote from which I can teach), Panasonic BD player, and an older Oppo DVD player (on rare occasions) that seems to handle some discs better.

Here are my wants:

1) Activities buttons
2) Backlit
3) RF capable, or at least could work with a Next Gen Extender as an add-on

Max Budget: $70 without RF or $100 with RF capabilities

I've been noticing info on these forums NEVO C2's on Ebay from China paired with an RF station. I've checked out reviews on the newer Harmony Smart Control model. I've considered just using my trusty Sony VLZ620 with a Next Gen Extender until something more convincing comes out. What I DON'T want is a remote that only lasts a few months that I have to send back, pay the shipping, remind the wife and kids how to use the old spare, etc., or worse, quits just after the one year warranty period. I know there are no guarantees in life, but I'm not looking to play remote roulette here. Any advice out there? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Gracepreacher on July 23, 2015 18:54.

Hosting Services by ipHouse