The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Sunday February 8, 2015 at 00:53
dcmorrow
Long Time Member
May 2007
Yeah that won't fill in a home theater. I think if you have a TV, sound and xfinity DVR it's okay.

If you have Apple TV, Blu Ray,Region Free DVD, independent subwoofer, use your 7.2 surround dual zone 2014 stereo for all your inputs, and Windows PC with XBMC, Wii, and or XBOX, then I think it will run up against a brick wall of code exhaustion and device management.

Certainly the MX-880 could not only do that, but track all device states, etc. All the hate comes in, when you want to buy a new TV or stereo, (especially stereo) and you have to call Magnolia to send someone out to come set it up, because you "HAVE TO". $1800 for TV $300 installation. So I can understand why your MX-880 is in the drawer.

I know Harmony has a lot of remotes that can do this, but as I said, most of what they have is EOL and what's left are well up to $200+. It used to be, for around $129 or less, you could get a decent remote that can handle more than 8 devices. The closest devices, are the 650/700, and they are right at the limit, just shy of what I need. You go down to the 300/350, not going to do it. The One Touch or Whole House, etc are not worth the cost, IMHO.

A mid range remote of 2012-15 design, seems to be non-existent. Anything that can do what I described are premium, integration devices that officially can run you up $750+. Help me here, I not an expert so I am willing to be educated.

I am venting a little bit, because there isn't a "wife" friendly remote, that handles what I am speaking of, without getting something used.

For example, I did just that, but was disgusted enough, that I had to buy another one, hoping it was clean w/low milage. Used - bleh. Do you go around buying used mice?

To me, this is representative of the difference between the 1% and the 99%. Either you get a cheap remote, or a high end one, leaving out the middle class.

I may go further and just say, integrator remotes are way over priced. The true value of the tech is $50 - $99. Programming, for the amount of education required, is worth $30/hour. So a two hour job (parts and labor) should be $110 for an MX-780, and $220 for the MX-1200, as an example. No college experience necessary, just a weekend of training. This is all my opinion. Again I need education.

So my question is, What happened?

Hosting Services by ipHouse