The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 21 made on Saturday February 7, 2015 at 01:29
dcmorrow
Long Time Member
May 2007
I am kinda tapped out now. The Xsight is coming and the RF extender. I am going to have to wait until next month or two, to consider the X-7 or MX-780. By then the price may go up...

Users have gotten a lot of flack for buying the URC remotes and asking for help with the software. So my main concern was that the MX-780/X-7 would be too much work. After reading the full review on the Xsight, and the lack of variables and power states, I think I may be able to take on the MX-780 comfortably. It seems we are without much choice of a simple solution. I am a decent programmer, VB, C++ etc.

Maybe the JP1 community has some answers regarding the cons of the Xsight. I have one device that I am certain, needs a power state variable. (Pillips DVP-5982)

Everything else I have, has discrete on/off commands. Sometimes it's better to go with higher end equipment. Logitech definitely has the upper hand here.

In my process of acquiring a replacement for my Harmy 550 (my 650 is upstairs), I picked up 3 Harmony 720 remotes, in various states of functionality. (total cost, about $50) 1st unit The IRs don't fire, but all the buttons are perfect, and wear free. 2nd unit all buttons work, with some significant wear, except the left second activity was lazy. The back was sticky. 3rd unit All buttons work, good condition, slight wear. The back was also sticky. I combined remotes 1 and 2. So I have two working units. I could try and replace the IR LEDs on the 1st unit, but I may put it back on eBay for someone else project. I found a way to remove stickiness on rubberized paint, works well. The secret? Windex.

All my equipment is behind smoked glass. It's okay, but not perfect. IR commands get through, but I have to point directly at my DVR. The DOG gets in the way. So with FM I can fix that. The Harmy 720 does not do FM. That's why the Xsight Touch looks exciting. I will use all the remotes.

Watching TV is like this: "Who has the remote? Skip the commercial" Well now I can just tell anyone, you have a remote, you skip it.

Hosting Services by ipHouse