The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Tuesday February 25, 2014 at 14:56
ch8
Long Time Member
January 2014
On January 24, 2014 at 21:01, noboost4you said...
I simply need the RF remote to control the AVR, projector, BD player, STB, Lutron panel and possibly another amplifier and/or processor. I don't need over-the-top programming ability. Macros needed for 'Lights On', 'Lights Dim', Lights Off', 'Watch Movie', 'Watch TV', 'Listen to Music', etc. Will the Harmony 900 fit the bill or do I need to foot the bill for the URC equipment? (If only I had the software for the MSC-400 and MX-980, life would be golden.)

TIA.

Regards,
Bryan

Hi Bryan, just offering my 0.02.

If $$$ is your only concern, then you already made up your mind and there is no real purpose to this post. If price is a concern but not the determining factor read on.

1st and most importantly don't base your purchase on price alone. Base it quality and reliability. If you really want a reliable system that works take the URC option.

2. $475 for custom programing is not that out of line if you consider a computer shop will charge you $100-$150 to install off the shelf packaged software (i.e windows 8). This would be customized to your needs and equipment.

3. I have 2 harmony 900 remotes I used for TVs upstairs. The key word here is USED as both of them are dead. In fact one of them was replaced 2x due to software issues, the other was hardware issues which was out of warranty so I technically had 3 of things 5 in total. Logitech software support is only 90 days so adding devices not in their database or trouble shooting macros is still going to cost you $$$ ($29.00 per call).

4. While the 900 does have RF ability it is not the greatest as seems to work when it wants to, you will have to use the help/guided help option more often then not.

5. With the dealer also pitching the msc400 what he is in fact doing is making your system bullet proof and will far exceed anything the 900 can do. With that said I would ask him for a heavy discount on the MSC400 if I were you or opt for the MRX1 or MRX2 which adds network functions.

6. What hardware are you using to control lights? I am unaware of the 900 having that function/feature as I was using Zwave devices and it had no option for that.

These is why I say price is not something to consider, 3 at $230 a pop plus 2 replacements in 2.5-3 years that’s over $700 and neither work.

Hosting Services by ipHouse