Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Monday January 27, 2014 at 13:24
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
I'm not quite as much on your side as I was in my first reply. First, you wrote

they want $455.57 to program aforementioned equipment from URC.

That is, you said this was TO PROGRAM. Now you say

On January 25, 2014 at 23:52, noboost4you said...
In regards to the Lutron installation cost, it was a combination of 'Technician Labor' and 'Hardware & Materials'. No time was mentioned. Flat fee, I suppose, of $285.00. The rest made up of materials; i.e. the wiring to and from the keypads.

That is, you don't really know how much the programming was but you are complaining about the programming being too costly. I interpret this as you complaining about the overall cost but not being too interested in knowing why it is what it is -- how could you be, since you don't even have the details?

At any rate, that's done and in the past. No need to go back to any one company requesting a refund. Just move on and stay away from this particular integrator.

Bad idea. You're acting as though there's an infinite number of dealers out here, and that's far from true. I think if you are thorough in your analysis of what's bothering you, and reasonable in your discussions with them, particularly about the installer who seems to have taken way too much time, you will actually make a friend of the installing company. After all, what company would not want to know that their employee did not fight to charge only what was fair, instead of charging you for his OJT? This employee is likely to do that again, and you are the company's friend if you point this out to them... not bitching, not whining, but stating that you do not think you were charged fairly.

We'll find out exactly as I'm having other local dealers quote me on the hardware. But based on other items quoted, they've added a nice markup.

"A nice markup." Hmmm. I take it you know the wholesale prices? Or are you comparing with internet pricing, which a)is sketchy and b)does not come with a programmer and c)a programmer might not touch? I saw Panasonic phone systems on line for less than I can buy them. And the comments include "system came incomplete, dealer not responding, factory won't honor warranty." Does that kinda make a markup for an honest deal a bit more palatable?

Let's just say you know the company's wholesale cost and you'd like them to sell it to you at that price. You don't want to pay for the required shipping? You think they pay rent and power and employees with air? What you are calling markup is usually required by EVERY business to stay in business.

Unless the software is in a foreign language, I bet it will be a nice learning curve.

You cannot know, and because you won't take the training as it's not offered to you, you will be in the worst situation of ignorance: not knowing that you don't know.

Save $450+, know the programming inside and out,

Save some money now, maybe. Know the programming? Complete BS.

and be able to modify the system as new components are added or taken away. Would hate to have bring the installer back when changes have been made to the system. It may not run correctly in the time a professional could do it, but I'm not working on any deadline. Perfection can wait as the satisfaction of doing it myself is worth more.

Then become a dealer -- it's even MORE satisfying doing this for a dozen or a hundred people -- and get the PROPER training. Otherwise choose product in the class you're in, which is do it yourself. I hear Harmony works for a lot of DIYers.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse