The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Tuesday September 3, 2013 at 18:26
OneRemote
Long Time Member
May 2013
If you're spending $400 on a Logitech Harmony, you're doing it wrong! :)

Actually your story sounds really familiar. I purchased two Harmony 900s for my home a couple years ago and between battery bulging problems or requiring to reset the thing to get it to work I had nothing but problems with them. They just aren't built to last and I found their programming and features limited.

It was my first universal remote purchase so I don't really beat myself up over it but I'm glad I stopped buying Harmony.

I purchased two URC remotes this time around and am very happy with the quality of the remotes and the functionality that can be achieved from the programming. They really are a huge leap ahead of the Harmony line.

I purchased an MX-890 and an MX-780. The 780 is used in the room that doesn't get much usage and the 890 is in the main room of the house and is used almost daily.

You can buy a URC MX-890 from SurfRemoteControl.com for cheaper than what you paid for your Harmony Ultimate. They will send you the software with the remote and if you're ok with computers you can program the remote yourself. If you'd rather have someone else do it then you can just find a local URC dealer and buy the remote from them and pay for programming. Make sure they agree to provide you with the software so that you can tinker with it or make any changes in the future.

One thing to note is that the URC remotes are all RF capable but don't come with an RF base station -- you will have to buy that separately if your equipment is behind a cabinet, or in a closet or a different room.

Even though the base station isn't included, I think the URC remotes are a huge jump ahead of the Logitech Harmony line and I think you'd be surprised by the price difference between the two not being that big.

Hosting Services by ipHouse