The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 68 made on Thursday August 22, 2013 at 21:50
Lowpro
Select Member
March 2004
Took a break from my XCF file today and spent some time updating the first post of this thread which is now relevant throughout with respects to my latest XCF file. All the screenshots were updated the other day, a few new ones added today. In the process I updated the structure of the post as well making it much easy to read I think. Eliminated much in the way of "walls of text" in addition to adding bullets points to a few of the longer sections. And for those that haven't checked it out, the post prior to this one covers quite a few things regarding the rebuild of my DVD Juke activity. Just scratches the surface really, but does provide a good sense of how things work behind the scenes prior to and after the rebuild I think.

Uploaded a fresh XCF file today as well as I'm continuing to refine my file now that I have a solid base for work from. Spent the day yesterday off and on removing all the firm key labels for the devices which make up my DVD Juke activity. Didn't take as long as I thought considering the fact there were 233 devices to do. I'm now of course populating the firm key labels for the activity using ProntoScript which was very simple to implement as there is a certain way I'm tagging the devices which make up the activity now. Within each device/activity tag there is a portion I call "trans" which calls out whether it's possible to transition from one page to another within the device. Take the text labels for Firm2 and Firm3 for instance. If the "trans" portion of the device tag reads, "TPG" which stands for "Transition: Paging" I know that I always want Firm2 to read, "Previous" and Firm3 to read, "Next" as those firm keys allow for paging just as the Page Up/Down hard buttons do. If the "trans" portion of the device tag reads, "TWA" which stands for "Transition: Wrap Around" I know that I always want the text labels for Firm2 and Firm3 to remain blank as paging while under the given device is not possible.

Should point out as well that the Cursor Keys used in conjunction with the cover image highlight key off this as well in addition to the Page Up/Down hard buttons of course. If the cover image button on the far right of the page for instance is highlighted and I press the right cursor key, if the "trans" portion of the device tag reads "TPG" that's how the activity knows to execute the Page Down special action taking me to the next page and highlighting the cover image button on the far left of the page. Works going the other way as well of course. On the other hand, if the "trans" portion of the device tag reads "TWA", well that's how the activity knows that paging is not possible under the current device and to have the cover image highlight wrap around the page moving from the cover image button on the far right of the page to the cover image button on the far left of the same page.

Time permitting tomorrow perhaps I'll work up a post outlining what each part of a given "device/page/button/label" tag means including any of the labels I'm using in the same fashion. Spent a good deal of time considering how I wanted to go about rebuilding the activity. Considering the number of devices which make up the activity and the fact that I wanted to centralize the ProntoScript for the activity in one place, the tagging and labeling was key. My end goal was to have all devices which make up the activity point to one consolidated set of ProntoScript and in turn the tagging and labeling tell the activity everything it needed to know in order to properly display a given page in addition to how to respond to user input while on said page. Still sort of beside myself that I accomplished my goal. The sense of accomplishment and memory usage I've recovered have certainly been reward enough. The icing on the cake though would have to be how simple stupid it is now to update my XCF file while at the same time only increasing the size of the file to a small fraction of what would have been the case prior. For the first time I'm now able to add new titles to my XCF file, including boxsets without having to add a single shred of ProntoScript which of course over time would continue to increase the size of my file. It's all in the tagging and labeling now. Heck, the only action lists I even need to create now are for titles that I add which include more than one disc to choose from per having the ability to jump from one level of the interface to the next. Too bad it's not possible to create page jumps using ProntoScript, but I digress. :-P

Last edited by Lowpro on August 23, 2013 09:09.
LP Related Links:
View my profile to access various
links to key posts and downloads.

Hosting Services by ipHouse