Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday April 18, 2013 at 15:25
bmarshal
Lurking Member
April 2013
Here's my situation:

I have two 80 year old parents, and bought an MX-3000 for them way back when, can't even remember, back when it first came out. I used to have the Home Theater Master which I used happily and was easy to program.

I bought an MX-3000 for myself too. So each unit I programmed to match each of three different systems. Like 7 years ago.

My home theater is long gone and I no longer watch TV. My unit is pretty pristine as it was not used much and is sitting on a shelf.

My father's unit has several problems, the touchscreen won't stay calibrated for more than a day. It has been burning through batteries now very fast and won't hold a charge, and it turns itself off spontaneously. It's dead.

Mother's unit is fine.

I have long since left PCs behind and gone to Macs, and in that I lost my copy of the MX-3000 editor.

So I have three units which cost together over $2,000. Two of which cannot be used though one is perfectly fine. If i could just copy the config from the busted one to the good one then we'd be OK.

Replacing these at a Canadian dealer is $1,200 each (lol). Buying online, I don't know if I can get the software with them anymore.

I sent email to Universal Remote asking if I can send the busted one in for repairs and they told me the standard "talk to your authorized dealer" but also suggested that I can call their tech support line (why is email no good?) and it would take them *two weeks* to issue an RMA. Guess I will start on that.

There is none in my town, the nearest as mentioned says they want $1,200 for a new one, which means they'll probably want $600 to fix the busted one.

I sent Universal photos of my units and the serial number to show it comes from when the software was included and asked for a copy so that I can move the config from the bad one to the good one. They answered with "no."

I'm really surprised that a company is prepared to stick a fork into a customer who spends $2,000 on this kind of thing, especially when they fail, and won't even assist with a paid repair.

The cheapest thing to do, if I have to buy my way out of the problem, is to buy a Harmony 1100 and as the units die switch over.

Is that really the answer for MX-3000 owners?

Can this company honestly be this stupid that they will drive you into the arms of the competition rather than keep you with their products?

Can't believe I am going to end up with two paperweights.

Re: authorized dealer, I bought these things 7 years ago. I have no idea where they come from or how much I paid, just that it came in the mail from the USA. I don't remember where I bought my socks from either. Or my pens or the cell phone I was using 7 years ago too... ugh.

Hosting Services by ipHouse