The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday November 2, 2012 at 16:00
Hawkser22
Lurking Member
November 2012
I am trying to determine the cheapest way to learn an IR command from a remote. Whether it is some sort of USB device on the PC and running some software, or whether it is just a cheap (the cheapest!) universal remote that has learning capabilities. Please recommend!

For some background info ... I have a Harmony 700, which for the most part works perfectly. The one issue I have is that the command set for my Vizio TV (M470SL) does not contain discreet IR commands for input selections. However, the command set for the Vizio E420VA DOES contain discreet commands for input selection, and those commands actually work perfectly with my Vizio M470SL.

I still want to be able to use the "real" command set for my M470SL, but want to add the few discreet commands that I need from the E420VA command set. The only way I can see to do this is to use the E420VA command set, teach the commands that I need to a temporary device (cheap remote, or PC, or whatever), add my M470SL back to my device list, and use that temporary device to teach the commands back to my Harmony 700 for the M470SL.

Among other issues, I am maxed out on the number of devices that my Harmony 700 supports, so I can only have one TV in the device list at any time.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Hosting Services by ipHouse