The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday September 21, 2012 at 11:08
immerc
Lurking Member
September 2012
I've been using a Harmony remote for a while but never really liked it, and now the "left" button stopped working, so I'm looking for a replacement.

I don't use many devices, but the ones I do are a bit unusual. I use a MythTV Linux box for most of my TV watching, use my PS3 (via a Logitech IR to Bluetooth unit) for Netflix, have a cable box that's mostly controlled by the MythTV box so I don't really need to control it via remote much, and I mostly only use the power, volume and input controls on my TV.

The main reason the Logitech Harmony annoys me is that it seems to think that it is the only remote I ever use, and it knows the state of the universe. The reason I wanted a Harmony-like remote in the first place is that the devices I use are a bit unusual and it's hard to find a remote that has all the appropriate buttons.

So, I'd like recommendations for a remote that can control about 5 devices, can either learn from another remote or knows the Philips RC-5 protocol (one of the easier ones to use with MythTV), and whatever protocol the Logitech PS3 IR adapter uses, and has some kind of screen where I can label some of the custom buttons the PS3 and MythTV unit support that very few remotes have as hard buttons. I don't need a $500 remote, but I wouldn't object to spending $300 on a truly great remote that works with what I have and leaves me options for the future.

Any suggestions?

Hosting Services by ipHouse