Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 27 made on Sunday September 9, 2012 at 22:27
BillB
Founding Member
February 2002
Lyndel,
Well, I am about ready to give up on this unit. I adjusted some IR durations on my config and tried to upload to my RC9500 which now has the most recent firmware. I run everything as administrator.

It uploaded the current config fine to the PC. However when I tried to download my adjusted configuration back to the unit, it stopped when it seemed to be done (after reading checksum....then communicating....right before it normally says complete)then said "An error occurred while downloading the configuration to the device". The unit was then stuck on the "downloading config file-wait". So it was again bricked. Would not communicate at all after that.

So I was back trying to re-update firmware to try to bring it back to life. And that required multiple attempts of the old firmware, then the new firmware, until it worked. Finally after all that I tried to download the config again. Same error.
So then I tried to download the last configuration file which I KNOW worked with the old firmware. THAT also errored out with the new firmware. I tried another PC, same result.

So, then I tried loading the old firmware (without updating to the new firmware), and tried to download new configurations. They all worked just fine again.

Finally, as one last check, I thought I would just try to download the default configuration file that comes with wizzit to the unit after it updated to the latest firmware.  Now THAT also failed!!!!!!  So clearly this is not an issue with my config. And I might suspect PC communications....but why would it work okay with the old firmware?  I know this new firmware expanded the memory, if the unit has an issue with memory could that be causing the issue?

So essentially, with the new firmware, I cannot download any new configurations to the unit. Including the default one.  However, with the old firmware, I can download any config I want!!! 

I have not read posts in my searches of people having trouble like this with the RC9500 or the firmware update. So if this unit is having troubles, do you think there must be something wrong with it?  This is the firmware that expanded the memory. 

This thread talks about something similar, but my problem is only with the newer firmware.

[Link: remotecentral.com]

I am now just running it with the old firmware.  Truth be told, the new firmware might have seen a bit snappier....not sure.   But for whatever reason I guess I cannot run the new firmware on this unit with my config. However if the ONLY improvement of the new firmware was opening up the memory, I don't really care. I have like 70% free memory and it doesn't "flash" when it turns off like the new firmware! Kind of torn on which way to go with it.

Billb

Last edited by BillB on September 9, 2012 23:52.

Hosting Services by ipHouse