The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Wednesday September 5, 2007 at 11:33
DBrown
Founding Member
February 2002
I'm not against ponying up, Clark. I am in favor of figuring out how to do this first with a minimal investment, at least to prove the concept. I'll send the MyMovies developer a donation as I like it very much. I'll probably not use VLC, athough it's a very sweet DVD/Video player.

I also am not the ideal customer for either Xperinet or K'scape. I don't have a server room, just lots of computers. I do have a network throughout the house, but it's just cables run through the attic from a router in a bedroom closet. There is no Theater, only a living room with a 40" HDTV and a master bedroom with w 46" HDTV. We watch TV in the living room primarily, and recently added a PC to the equipment shelving in there. I'm a DirecTV customer and with their new HR20 HD DVRs I found I could access Music and Photos off the PC in a guest bedroom/office over my home network. I ripped all 300 or so CDs to that system just for that reason. The HR20 also hints at video sharing, but does not have that enabled yet. If it had been I would never have bought a PC for the living room. The Music playing has become a very much-used desirable activity. Before doing this we rarely listened to our old Cds as they were apparently too cumbersome to find and load into a CD player. Now they are easily accessed, sortable, and searchable. Doing the same with my DVD collection was the next logical step. I've had it working for one day now, and we've already watched 3 old movies from our collection that we wouldn't have known where to find before.

My next house will be the media showcase. Dedicated theater room, centralized media server, etc.. Only, though, because I'll have figured this stuff all out on my own, for very cheap, in this not-to-ideal-for-home-theater house I live in right now.

Hosting Services by ipHouse