The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Monday September 3, 2007 at 20:29
DBrown
Founding Member
February 2002
I know I've done this in the past, that is to play DVD files from one PC's hard drive with DVD software on another PC on the same wired 10/100 home network.

I've now added a Vista PC to my home theater, and want to be able to play DVD files from the huge hard drive I've got in the back bedroom.

I've tried mounting drive images, mapping that drive to the PC in the home theater. I've tried just sharing the directories with the DVD files (not images) on the network. I can find the files with PowerDVD Ultra but it reports the media I'm trying to access has the wrong region code. This is not true, and those media files DO play just fine on the machine they are local to.

My hope is to rip all 100 or so DVDs I have to the big hard drive in the back bedroom, then be able to play them with something on the HTPC. So far not having any luck. I can make ISO image files or AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS files for each movie.

Will someone who does this, using VISTA Home Premium preferably, please tell me what steps and what software you use? My wife already likes having a PC in the theater room, but if I can get this going she'll then approve the HD projector I want to buy I'm sure! ;-)

Hosting Services by ipHouse