Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Wednesday April 7, 1999 at 14:02
ErikS
Historic Forum Post
Hey, that's what makes the world go around, different opinions.

1.) Asking why someone uses the net and isn't not concerned about a virus or "spying" does not obviate the "Big Brother" relationship of DIVX central.

>>My only point was that "big brother" is with us everywhere & so I'm not real concerned. Who in the hell want to buy a list of the movies I've watched?

2.) It would be hard to explain the cinematic difference between Pan & Scan and 1:1.85 or 1:2.35 to someone who can't see the difference.

>>I didn't say I couldn't see the difference, I DID say that with my current TV the widescreen look bothers me (I just don't like the "bands"), when I get a widescreen TV I may change my tune, right now lack of wide screen is a non-issue for me.

3.) Extra features, like pc friendly disks, trailers, bios, interviews, etc. are delightful. My family and I enjoy them very much. DIVX isn't capable. I suppose you don't watch previews at the theater? How 'bout popcorn? We are talking about the experience.

>>I don't like advertising with my movies, I hated when they put trailers in VHS (FF right through). I find the trailers at the theatre anoying, I don't want advertising with my movies. This is the same reason I hate Assholes On Line (AOL) you have to wade through tons of advertising before you get to where you want to go. Popcorn, of course, you gotta have popcorn.

4.) Of course there are different assembly lines. An for the same amount of money, you can bet that DVD is a better unit because it has less junk in it. Why do I need a modem & comm software in a machine to play a movie?

>>The price of chips is nothing, check out CPU prices, $50 & under in quantities of 10,000. How much do you think a .50 board adds to the cost of a machine?

5.) You would hae paid too much for the DVD only machine because you did not shop well enough. Unless Circuit City is now subsidising the sales, then DIVIX will alsways cost more than DVD. It has more stuff in it.

>>My machine is a Panasonic DX (SAME as DV) 414, check the price at DVDcity.com. Same as DX, there you get zone free, I get DIVX - same, same.

6.) There are places on the net where you can rent DVD's for $3. You can also apply the rental to the purchase price ($17.49 usually) if you decide to keep the movie. Cheaper than silver.

>>I've tried the mail rental, I don't like the hassle of mailing the disk back. NetFlix sends you the disk, you have seven days to watch the movie & mail it back. Now I have two problems with this. 1. You have to mail it back. 2. No deciding, hmmmm I'm in the mood to see a movie tonight, I'll stop on the way home & pick one up.

7.) To say that you are under no time constraint is TOTALLY FALSE. You only control when you start watching a movie, DIVX controls when you finish. For that matter, they control where you watch.

>>Non-issue for me, once I start a movie I like to watch it all the way through. Though I have returned a lot of movies un-watched because I rented more than I actually had time to watch.

8.) I don't return movies either, I am building my library. A second viewing costs me nothing.

>>If I'm going to watch a movie repeatedly I buy the DVD. The same goes for a movie I really like, if it's just a so-so feeling about the movie I like being able to see it for 4.59.

The bottom line is DIVX is inferior, more expensive, and invasive. It is a big scam to make more money for lawyers and CC.

>>Why inferior, it's just another rental method. The bottom line boils down to this - I can do anything you can do, you CAN NOT do all that my machine can do, I just have more viewing options.

Hosting Services by ipHouse