The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Tuesday April 6, 1999 at 10:01
ErikS
Historic Forum Post
I'd ask why do you hate DIVX? I've heard some of the reasons, such as:
1. "big brother", machine is hooked up to the office - Then why the hell are you here on the net? Ask the Melissa virus creator how easy you can be watched from here.

2. Pan & scan - I don't have a wide screen TV (yet) so it doesn't really matter & some discs are wide screen.

3. Directors information - I don't care, I just want to watch the movie. I have several DVD's with the info & I haven't used it much.

4. The DVD players are better. Yeah, riiiight, I'm sure companies like Panasonic have 2 assembly lines, one for a DVD player & a separate one for the DIVX machine. Try this, it's the same machine with an additional circut board

5. The machine cost more - BS, be a decent shopper & you can get the player at the same price. Mine is the Panasonic & cost me exactly the same as the DVD only model (an identical clone).

On the positive side:

1. There a whole buch of movies I'll watch for 4.59 but won't even bother with at 13.99 to 24.99.

2. I'm under NO time constraint when to watch the movie. I buy the disk I watch it WHEN I WANT. The 48hrs starts when I hit play, not when I get the movie. I've had several disks for months before I use them.

3. No messing with returning disks. I've tried Netflix, a big pain in the ass & the rentals end up costing more then 4.59 each. Plus I'm under a time constraint to watch the movie. Sorry I'll stick to order/buy the disk - NO RETURNS!!

4. I haven't lost anything, I can still watch DVDs AND I can watch those marginal movies for 4.59 each w/o the return hassle.

I do agree with some of the drawbacks, the silver gold rental plan is strange. Locking the movie to a specific machine is odd, & what happens when you upgrade the machine? Though my thought is that it's a rental & you can't share rentals anyway. I just don't see why the vehement hatred of DIVX, it doesn't harm anything & you don't lose anything with it - just my .02

Hosting Services by ipHouse