Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 16 made on Thursday February 18, 1999 at 11:36
Glenn
Historic Forum Post
OK, I gotta weigh in here on DIeVX. First, there are many anti-DIeVX sites out there that provide a great deal of information about what is wrong with the format (yes, format, not DVD "enhancement.") The big failures like having no extras and no wide-screen are certainly clear, but there are more subtle drawbacks that no salesgeek will ever mention or will try to obfuscate.

It is not cheaper than DVD to rent. Locally, I rent DVDs for $1.50 to $3.00 for from one to seven nights. DIeVX can't compete with that. Also, the late-fee argument is bogus since late-fees are rare for most people. In fact, I think I know only one person who has ever paid a late fee. Many of the anti DIeVX sites show clearly the annual costs of DVD -vs- DIeVX.

Here's the really nasty one though. Big Brother is watching you. All of your viewing habits are reported back to DIeVX headquarters. All else being equal, this one is the killer. Granted most people don't understand freedom or privacy issues anymore, but this is a clear invasion of your privacy and DIeVX owners are just giving it away and paying for the privilage.

If you think that this is innocent, think again. A person who was injured in a California grocery store lost his suit because the store reporduced his purchase records to show he purchased booze periodically. Don't participate in those "discount" programs.

Glenn

Hosting Services by ipHouse