Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Sunday December 27, 1998 at 01:31
jack schultz
Historic Forum Post
The lack of widescreen format in DIVX is pure stupidity as widescreen IS the format for HDTV as it rolls out.
In addition, if they can't do wide screen, how do they plan on doing MLP audio discs, seeing as that is about to become the method for audi encoding.
As far as selecting a high end DVD/?? player, I'd hang out until after CES as that's where the new models will be introduced so savvy dealers should have the real scoop back at their shops mid/late January. I'm told that Sony will introduce players with MLP at CES. For anyone not familiar, MLP (Meridian Lossless Packet) is the new DVD multi-channel audio format. Lossless is the magic, as compared to DD, DTS, MPEG which are all lossy formats. I'm further told that Sony has already done the chip design for MLP and will roll out in early 1999. Of course Meridian will likely introduce players at CES as well seeing as it is their format and their processors already support it. I hope this helps in making (holding off on making) a decision until the smoke clears a bit more.

Hosting Services by ipHouse