The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday February 1, 2012 at 16:41
cgott42
Lurking Member
November 2007
I'm looking to buy a remote, here are my needs, please let me know your suggestions:

(a) Home Theater Room with projector, and (b) separate equipment room with AVR, PS3, HTPC (c) overhead light
currently have 4 remotes - Remotes that came with the AVR and Proj. Gyration RF remote to control the HTPC Windows Media Center 7, Sony BT PS3 remote.

"Must Have" features
(a) Ergonomics - buttons I can distinguish by feel (as used with lights out, and watching screen), large pause button (and decent sized, easy to locate by feel - FF/Rev buttons). Not essential but nice - large play button, and 30 sec skip fwd button (30 sec back too is nice but less useful).
(b) "hard" button - i.e. no need to go through menu to first identify the device. i.e. while watching a movie I'd like one button to pause, one button push to turn on the lights, one button push to change the volume on the AVR
(c) Cost - looking for total cost < $100 (obviously, the cheaper the better)

re: PS3 - I have used 2 Harmony Remotes (880 and 890) with PS3 adapter and foudn that at times I woudl tell it to move 2 clicks to the right and it would go 10. I currently have a Sony BD Remote (model CECH-ZRC1U - the one with the buttons for TV and AMP). So I'd like to have a remote to control the PS3, but it's less critical and I don't want to pay a fortune for it.

"Hope to have" features
(a) I'd like something that could control my lights too. Which brand light module do you recommend? The light is an overhead flourescent light fixture. I have a box full of x10 modules but none to control the overhead flourescent fixture - I found out the WS13a ($40) would do that. But I don't know how well they work, features, integration with remote etc.
(b) PS3 control

"Cool if cheap enough" features
(a) Android app
(b) Macros

Last edited by cgott42 on February 1, 2012 17:22.

Hosting Services by ipHouse