The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Monday January 30, 2012 at 06:16
colin_e
Lurking Member
December 2003
Sorry, not a full reply here, but rather an echo from someone in the same boat.

I've an MX-500 for over 5 years and got on reasonably well with it, but the lack of discrete codes is definitely a limitation. My TV/Hi-Fi system is quite small, but has the usual badly-behaved bunch of kit that has only toggle controls for power and device inputs etc.

I have worked around this reasonably successfully using a combination of an IR-controlled 4-way power strip that has a discrete ON command (so I can start each viewing session in a known state) and macros in the MX500, but i'm right up against the macro length limit in a couple of cases, and some of these macros contain over 60 key presses (with delays) so they are a royal pain to make minor changes to.

I'm wondering whether the URC 7960 would fit the bill as a source of discrete codes. It's cheap and readily available for me in the UK. For you too in Canada I think, assuming you can ship from the US-

[Link: amazon.co.uk]

[Link: amazon.com]

(I hope the links above show up correctly)

According to the docs this remote can definitely have the full range of One for All codes installed. However they refer to calling their support department for "advanced codes", not very efficient if 100s of customers are doing that.

Surely someone has set up a "code wiki" where One for All users could contribute to a code knowledgebase. If not, this site would be a great place to host one.

Hosting Services by ipHouse