Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Monday December 27, 1999 at 17:33
Leigh Norton
Historic Forum Post
I find that 95% of Dolby Digital soudtracks sound screechy, thin, grainy and unrealistic. Most DTS stuff I have sounds much better - smoother (not dull), fuller, better bass etc. I actually prefer stereo or Pro-logic PCM discs to DD and would choose quality before surround sound. DTS IMHO gives both and the difference is chalk and cheese.

I think that the grainy part is due to compression and the thin tonal balance is down to mastering technique as the odd DD disc sounds full. Why should this be ? Maybe it keeps the compression efficient ?

My system is Denon AVC-A1D (same as US AVR 5700?), Panasonic DVDA310, Pioneer 925 LD. Front channels go through Naim electronics driving active Linn Isobariks (who needs subwoofers...) or Naim SBLs. Rear speakers are Epos ES14. No centre or sub.

Just to keep things in perspective, my Michell Orbe/SME5/Lyra Clavis DC turntable blows away all the digital sources for sound quality. So much for progress. Lets hope DVD-A or SACD can offer vinyl quality with digital practicality eh ?

Hosting Services by ipHouse