The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Saturday January 29, 2011 at 11:39
Trip
Lurking Member
January 2011
Let's see if I can clarify some things here.

First of all, WNGS does not currently have a petition to relocate to channel 46. Before the transition, they were allotted channel 46, but is now operating on channel 7 with no plans to relocate in the forseeable future. They are operating from a low tower at 26 kW.

Second, here's what happened with WNYO. WNYO had been on channel 34 from Grand Island, at 175 kW but severely directional to the south to protect the vacant channel 34 allotment that was to be the transitional channel for CHEX in Peterborough. As a result, almost no power went north into Canada. Sinclair petitioned to relocate the signal back to channel 49 utilizing the same tower and antenna they used for the analog--which is closer to WGRZ than anything else. The analog antenna was directional toward Buffalo, with a null to the east-southeast. See here: [Link: rabbitears.info]

Now, WNYO has filed to replace the directional antenna with an omni at the same power level. The FCC must wait for the Canadian government to sign off on this before it can be approved. Even if it is approved, I suspect most viewers will not see a significant improvement from this antenna replacement, since most directions other than the southeast are already getting close to the maximum power already.

I hope that helps to clarify things.

- Trip

Hosting Services by ipHouse