The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Saturday December 4, 2010 at 23:15
buzz
May 2003
Ganymebe,

A very fast way of duplicating a device with different IR codes is to drag it to the Gallery and create a new, duplicate activity by dragging from the Gallery. This can be done in a few seconds. Now, reconfigure the extender settings for the duplicate device and fix any heading labels that need repair. I would use a custom background image for each device as an additional cue to the user. Unless you need extensive customization, this can be done in a minute or two.

Another technique that is messy to set up, but has huge rewords if you program multiple remotes, is to write a tune() function.

I set up an associative channel array that is prepared in a spreadsheet. A typical entry would be:

CNN;413,

On activity startup, I build the associative array. Each channel icon calls its channel:

tune("CNN");

In each activity I have a KEYBOARD page that has a button for each IR code that I will need to call from my scripts. This is simply reusing my old links page from PEP1. The tune() function references IR codes on the KEYBOARD page or it could build RS232 commands. If necessary I could flip from IR to RS232 on the fly.

For my current programs I am not attempting to reuse the same activity for multiple rooms, but the tune() function would make this easy. I would simply reference an appropriate KEYBOARD page in the tune() function.

I can't imagine going back to my previous channel icon schemes, because I can quickly recover from the cable or satellite provider shuffling the channel assignments by modifying the spreadsheet and pasting a preformatted copy of my matrix into the program. One could also use an include. One quick copy and paste will fix the assignments -- I don't need to pick through the program icon by icon. Another benefit of the tune() function is that you can customize delays or add or remove a trailing ENTER command for every channel in a blink.

Hosting Services by ipHouse